E-Blasts from the Principal
Week of January 8, 2018
Happy New Year! I’m looking forward to connecting with all of my students and families on Monday! Because so many of our students rush out of the house, please make sure that you help your child use common sense and have all of their winter gear ready and on when they leave the house!
Speaking of common sense, that’s our life skill this week. When it comes to common sense, parents always seem to agree: we need more of it! While it sounds like the simplest life skill to acquire, some people believe that you either have it or you don’t and that no amount of practice will help. Actually, this life skill is no different from any other; the more we practice it and apply it, the more it becomes an intrinsic part of us. During our focus, we will include:
- Learning to look for the not-so-obvious elements in a situation in order to solve a problem
- Discussing problems and talking about their solutions
- Role-playing predicaments and exploring a problem-solving skill to resolve them
- Listening to stories about characters who do and do not show common sense
You can help at home by encouraging your child to:
- Welcome problems as an opportunity to use his/her common sense
- Participate in solving problems around the home that you and other family members are trying to solve
- Support friends and siblings as they try to solve problems in a common-sense way
Together, home and school will help your child develop the important life skill of common sense. Always feel free to send me an email or a note to share a life skill story that happened at home and/or with your child. I love hearing them!
- Friday, 1/12, is Popcorn Friday! The following week: NWEA winter testing starts. Please connect with your child’s teacher to find the day/time.
- Monday, 1/15: No School for students (Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day)
- Friday, 1/19: Half day; AM only for students; 12:10 dismissal
Make it a great week!
Julie Mytych Principal