Care Solace Article: National Stress Free Holiday Month
Message to Community: Happy December! With the holidays upon us, there are many reasons to be joyful. It's a time for sharing, laughter, giving back, and creating memories with family and friends. The holidays, however, can also be stressful. We may be making plans to visit loved ones, managing our budget for gifts, or coordinating events with our community. With an already-packed schedule, these additional tasks can add stress to our lives.
Celebrating and connecting with family is important during the holiday season, but it's also essential to care for your mental health. National Stress-Free Family Holidays Month brings awareness to the harmful effects of stress and reminds everyone to take care of themselves as they approach the holidays. Here are some helpful tips for a more stress-free holiday season:
- Make modifications to holiday traditions. Consider ways to modify traditions that may negatively impact your mental health. It can be nice to stick with holiday traditions, but your mental health should take priority.
- Don't forget the power of "no." It's okay to say no to plans if you are feeling overwhelmed.
- Plan ahead. Keeping a calendar of events can help you stay on track and prepare for events. It can be stressful to shop on the same day as an event, so keep a list of tasks to prevent the rush.
- Talk about your feelings. You might be overwhelmed or missing a loved one. Talking about your feelings with a trusted friend or family member is okay. You are not in this alone.
- Take time for self-care. It's important to take care of ourselves before caring for others. This holiday season, make time for yourself.
- Find a therapist. Acknowledge your feelings and talk to a professional when needed. If you would like help finding a mental health care provider, use Care Solace, a complimentary and confidential coordination service provided by Wayne-Westland Community School District:
- Call 888-515-0595. Multilingual support is available 24/7/365.
- Visit www.caresolace.com/wwcsd and either search on your own or click "Book Appointment" for assistance by video chat, email, or phone.
We wish you a joyous and stress-free holiday season!