Kindergarten and Young 5s
It's time to think about Young 5s & Kindergarten for Fall 2023!
Step 1: Gather These Documents
Required Enrollment Documents
A. Proof of Residency of Student
- Valid Michigan driver's license or State of Michigan ID
- House Closing Papers or Mortgage Documents
- Apartment or House Rental Lease
Two (2) Pieces of Business Mail (within 30 days)
B. Supporting Documents
- Original Birth Certificate
- Health Appraisal (complete by a physician)
- Immunization Records (up to date)
- Court Ordered Guardianship Documents (if applicable)
- Current IEP/MET (for students receiving special education services)
Step 2: Attend Kindergarten Kickstart - March 9, 2023
Wayne-Westland Community Schools will host Kindergarten Kickstart on March 9, 2023, at 1 p.m. Attendees will have the opportunity to learn about the curriculum, meet the staff and review enrollment options.
At each school event, you can ask the principal questions, become familiar with the school, and hear about why #GreatFuturesStartRightHere.
Mark your calendar and attend the event at the school your child will attend in the fall. Don't forget your documents.
Kindergarten and Young 5s
- Graham Elementary | 1255 S. John Hix, Westland 48186 | 734-419-2620
- Hamilton Elementary | 1031 Schuman, Westland 48186 | 734-419-2650
- Hicks Elementary | 100 Helen, Inkster 48141 | 734-419-2660
- Schweitzer Elementary | 2601 Treadwell, Westland 48186 | 734-419-2750
- Wildwood Elementary | 500 N. Wildwood, Westland 48185 | 734-419-2790
- Edison Elementary | 34505 Hunter, Westland 48185 | 734-419-2600
- Elliott Elementary | 30800 Bennington, Westland 48186 | 734-419-2610
- Roosevelt-McGrath Elementary | 36075 Currier, Wayne 48184 | 734-419-2720
- Taft-Galloway Elementary | 4035 Gloria, Wayne 48184 | 734-419-2760
- Walker-Winter Elementary | 39932 Michigan Ave, Canton 48188 | 734-419-2780
If you are unsure of which school your child will be attending, please visit the Locate My School webpage.
Step 3: Online Enrollment
2023-24 Kindergarten Registration for District Residents
- For students entering a Kindergarten program in Fall 2023, enrollment takes place on our new student registration portal.
- This will take approximately 20-30 minutes to complete.
- Complete the enrollment using a computer (a smartphone or tablet is not recommended). If you need access to a computer you can visit the school your child will attend in the fall, or visit the Wayne-Westland Community Schools Educational Complex, 36745 Marquette Street, Westland, MI 48185, from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Please read the instructions carefully on the introduction page.
- If you have any questions or are unclear while completing the registration process, please call 734-419-2083.
Age Requirements - Students must be 5 years old by September 1, 2023. According to Michigan Law, if a child residing in Wayne-Westland Community School District is not five years of age on September 1, 2023, but will be five years of age no later than December 1, 2023, the parent or legal guardian of that child may enroll the child in kindergarten for the 2023-2024 school year if the parent or legal guardian notifies the school district in writing (Kindergarten Waiver Form) that he or she intends to enroll the child in kindergarten by October 5, 2023.
Step 3: Verify Enrollment
Once your pre-enrollment is complete via the portal, please contact the school to inform them. If you have any questions, please call the school.
Welcome to Wayne-Westland Community Schools!
- Edison Elementary | 734-419-2600
- Elliott Elementary | 734-419-2610
- Graham Elementary | 734-419-2620
- Hamilton Elementary | 734-419-2650
- Hicks Elementary | 734-419-2660
- Roosevelt-McGrath Elementary | 734-419-2720
- Schweitzer Elementary | 734-419-2750
- Taft-Galloway Elementary | 734-419-2760
- Walker-Winter Elementary | 734-419-2780
- Wildwood Elementary | 734-419-2790
For additional questions, please call 734-419-2083.
Young 5s Program Information
How do I register?
Registration is now open for the 2023-2024 kindergarten programs for district residents. The steps for registration are noted above on this webpage. Intra-County School of Choice (non-resident families) enrollment will open in late April 2023.
How is Young 5s different from kindergarten?
Students in Young 5s use a Pre-Kindergarten curriculum coupled with play-based experiences meant to reinforce social and academic school development.
How do I know if my child would benefit from Young 5s?
Young 5s is intended to provide an additional year of academic and social growth for those interested. Talking with your child’s preschool teacher or current care provider about their development may be helpful.
Is there a cost for Young 5s?
There is no cost for Young 5s.
Who is eligible for Young 5s?
Children must be 5 years old no later than December 1, 2023.
Where will Young 5s be held?
The location of classrooms for the 2023-2024 school year will be held at the following schools: Graham Elementary, Hamilton Elementary, Hicks Elementary, Schweitzer Elementary, and Wildwood Elementary.
What if I registered for Young 5s, but my preferred location is not where the classrooms are scheduled? Can I switch my child to kindergarten in my neighborhood elementary school the following year?
Yes. If you have selected Young 5s but prefer your child attend kindergarten at your assigned school the following year, please let the school principal know.
Are enrichment classes (like music, art, physical education, etc.) part of the Young 5s program?
Children will experience all of the core areas of instruction, including music, art, physical education, life skills, and media.
Is Young 5s a full day or half-day?
Young 5s is a full school day and will follow the elementary calendar, including the start and end times.
If the student has an IEP, who will contact the family, and when?
The school principal or special education provider will reach out to families of students with IEPs.